[aklug] Re: dynamic dns

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@muni.org>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 08:52:40 AKDT

A vpn (virtual private network) is the way to do this. I suggest openvpn. =
 It bypasses a lot of issues that can arise with ipsec.

> being able to use a
> dynamic dns hostname to connect to a particular pc inside my network
> (from outside the network).

As far as ddns in general, be aware of authentication and spoofing issues w=
ith all dynamic dns services I'm aware of. They all use cleartext username=
/password authentications; no one that I'm aware of uses certs or keypairs =
or even encrypts the communication. But don't let that stop you, just be a=
ware of it. I've used ddns for years now, with no problems other than the =
ones I make for myself.