[aklug] Re: Dynamic DNS -- not exactly what I was thinking

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 05:44:49 AKDT

Christopher Howard wrote, on 9/10/2008 2:00 AM:
> I went ahead and signed up for dynamic dns at dyndns.org, just to see if
> I could even get it configured. I did, sort of.
>
> However, the only thing I am able to get my dynamic dns hostname to map
> to is my DSL router! I hope I'm missing something here, because this is
> not particularly useful. (Aside from the fact that I can now configure
> my DSL router from anywhere in the world.)
>
> The DSL router has port forwarding capabilities, but other than that, I
> didn't see anything in the router's configuration options that would
> help me accomplish what I'm really wanting: being able to use a dynamic
> dns hostname to connect to a particular pc inside my network (from
> outside the network).

At the point that you reach the last public IP, you can no longer
reach one of those internal IPs from the public Internet without port
forwarding, tunneling or a VPN.

Actually, a VPN might be best for what it sounds like you're after --
full access, all ports, to specific internal hosts?

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                   - http://royce.ws/
My thinking is first and last and always for the sake of my doing. -WJ