[aklug] Dynamic DNS -- not exactly what I was thinking

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 02:00:36 AKDT

I went ahead and signed up for dynamic dns at dyndns.org, just to see if
I could even get it configured. I did, sort of.

However, the only thing I am able to get my dynamic dns hostname to map
to is my DSL router! I hope I'm missing something here, because this is
not particularly useful. (Aside from the fact that I can now configure
my DSL router from anywhere in the world.)

The DSL router has port forwarding capabilities, but other than that, I
didn't see anything in the router's configuration options that would
help me accomplish what I'm really wanting: being able to use a dynamic
dns hostname to connect to a particular pc inside my network (from
outside the network).

If you can't tell, I don't quite have the fullest grasp on what it is
I'm doing. Could anyone point my slightly confused self in the right
direction? Any help would be appreciated.

I have the dynamic dns hostname set to accept wildcards. I'm wondering
if I'm supposed to tell the router somehow that if the request was for a
subdomain (computer1.example.dyndns.org) of the domain
(example.dyndns.org), that it should forward the packets to the
appropriate ip-address in the LAN. (Or does the router only know the IP
address?)

My DSL router is the standard one that ACS gives out, if that helps.