[aklug] Speed up your linux box

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 17:58:18 AKDT

After cruising the AntiX forums I found this
tip<http://antix.freeforums.org/speed-up-your-linux-box-t124.html>that
is worth passing on as quoted verbatim from anticapitalista:
I found this tip on the tinyme forum/via pclinux, and would like some people
with low end boxes to try it out.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=32938.0

Basically, it should open apps faster.

add these 2 lines to the end of your /etc/sysctl.conf file

vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Save and restartX ie login again and see if apps open faster especially
abiword, gnumeric, iceweasel etc.

If you get problems, you can simply remove the 2 lines.

Than talking with a friend (Cagey) he posted this
article.<http://lwn.net/Articles/83588/>It get's into the nuts and
bolts a lot more. Good read either way. A side
note, OOo 2.3 opens way faster with these two lines on Mepis 7.0. Going to
AntiX 7.5 this week on my workhorse laptop, and I'll post some hard numbers
than. Hope this helps. Take care and keep it in the wind. B

--
"Nothing in the universe can travel at the speed of light, they say,
forgetful of the shadow's speed."