[aklug] Apache file permissions

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Aug 21 2008 - 12:19:16 AKDT

Thanks again for the help with apache. One more question though:

I found another rather annoying difference between my actual website
server and the virtual server I am setting up. In the actual site
server, all my cgi scripts can create and modify files anywhere on the
system that I tell them to (within the bounds of my share on the server,
of course). And I can leave the permissions of all the files set to
something like 755.

However, in the virtual apache server (Ubuntu 7.10), it seems that, if I
want a script to be able to write to a directory, I have to do two
things: 1) change the permission of that directory to 777, and 2) give
that directory ExecCGI permissions.

Is this just the way Apache is? Or can I add some directive or
something that will change this? It seems like a lot of bother to go
through (changing all these directory permissions), especially as I'll
have to remember to change them all back after mirroring them to the
actual site.