[aklug] Re: Converting to Virtualbox

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 09:16:51 AKDT

Mike Barsalou writes:
> I'm starting to look into converting from my vmplayer image=20
> to a virtualbox image.
>=20
> If anyone has had experience at doing this, I'd love to hear=20
> what sort of problems you might have run into.
>=20
> I found some conversion docs, and it looks relatively straightforward.
>=20

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/HowTo/Switching_From_VMWare_To_Vi
rtualBox:_.vmdk_To_.vdi_Using_Qemu_+_VdiTool
>=20

I've converted a couple of VM's that way without any issues.

There's one caveat, and that's Windows. I don't know if the other
flavours have the same issue, but XP has a fun time with the AGP driver
deciding that it doesn't like migrating from one VM to another (or from
Iron to a VM) and will lock everything up.

There's mention of it in that article, and it can be a tricky SOB to
finally get cleaned up, depending on your install.

I -tried- to migrate my XP vmware over to virtual box, but ended up
just staying with VM as it wasn't worth the multiple days of hassling.