[aklug] Re: OT

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Aug 14 2008 - 19:59:27 AKDT

Well, I would like to be able to work with a variety of OSs/patch levels and this would be problematic at the least. For example, I want a couple varients of Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows 2k, 2k3, 2k8 servers along side of an install of NT 4.0(most likely SP4). They are fun to configure to multiple boot in and of themselves, but the first time I fired up 2k server or up, it will convert the NTFS file system of the NT 4.0 install into the newer version of NTFS(without asking! Ain't Microsoft wonderful?) which NT 4.0 will not read without SP6 installed, effectivly locking me out of the NT 4.0 install. Not to mention that if one gets a virus(Not Windows, they're Secure!) it would spread, and I'm thinking of studying some viruses. I don't know how to do the virtual systems yet either, one thing at a time. I just figured it would be easier to do if I got a few 20 - 40 gig hard drives and swapped them out for now as needed. I found some on Ebay, not sure I like
 any of the ones I found so far though and thought maybe somebody might know of some decent sources.

Some of this probably will not happen yet as it risks things like viruses that write themselves to the bios, and I do need to keep this box secure as it is a work machine as well as play thing. Parts of it might have to wait till I can set up another box, preferably one with a jumper to prevent bios writes. I'm just trying to figure out what I can and can't do in the near future and this is a way I have worked with in the past with a measure of sucess.