[aklug] Combined network storage space

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Aug 14 2008 - 19:00:13 AKDT

I had a question... mostly out of curiosity. Is there a way that you
can take multiple PCs and combine them (in a non-literal sense) to
create one large network share? (Say, an smb, nfs, or ftp share.) I
mean, not by buying some huge enterprise server system, but just using
some 32 bit PCs, and some specialized Linux distro?
I saw some references on the Internet to SANs and storage clusters on
the Internet, but it tended to be above my head, not having a
professional background in networking (beyond the simple stuff that most
IT people know).