[aklug] OT

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 14:50:50 AKDT

I have a couple off topic questions. I think I finaly managed to find parts to build an almost decent computer to work on. I can only have one though, space limitation etc.

I would like to have removable hard drive trays/caddies so I can swap drives and there by swap OS/configurations. I think I would prefer to have the metal ones as they seem to transfer heat away from the drives better. Any body know where I can get them online? And any suggestions, things I should look for, avoid, etc? It's been years since I needed to shop for something of this nature and things change fast, so I thought it might be prudent to ask. I need to put a decent system together so I can study, work, etc.

<puts on flame proof underwear...>

One of the reasons I need this is to learn some things to make job hunting a bit easier. I've been asked if I knew MS SQL more than MySQL, so I'm thinking of learning something about MS SQL in an attempt to earn money. I really really really like phpMyAdmin for MySQL on Linux. I use it almost everyday for certain websites in fact. It's faster than using the admin panel that is with the script that runs them for certain tasks. I think I remember there being an equivilent type script for MS SQL, anybody know where I can find it? It might help me in learning so I thought I would check it out. Is there one for Oracle as well? Or other database systems?

What is the economy like back up there in Alaska?

Thanks guys.