[aklug] Re: Ubuntu 8.04: printing with default SMB printing tool

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Sat Aug 02 2008 - 16:30:52 AKDT

jonr@destar.net wrote:
> The wbinfo -u or -g queries the winbindd daemon, if you have it
> running. The -g will show the domain-groups on the AD controller and
> the -u will show the users of the same. When you run 'getent' you
> should see the passwd file from the local linux box as well as the AD
> box.
>
> You said you are having problems printing because you changed your
> password, but if the samba box was connected to the AD correctly, when
> you changed your password it should have no problem printing with your
> new dmain cedentials.
>
> You should have these three damons running on the samba box, smbd,
> nmbd and winbindd to correctly connect to an AD server and become part
> of the domain. Also, you need to make sure your samba was compiled
> with the ldap, kerberos, AD and winbindd support. So use the 'smbd -b'
> command to check for all of them:
>
> smbd -b | grep KRB
> smbd -b | grep WINBIND
> smbd -b | grep LDAP
> smbd -b | grep ADS
>

> All four of these must be present and the above three damons should
> all be running.
>
> Let us know what the results are.
>
> Jon

All of those are installed. I know the smbd is running.
However, I know that the machine is connecting to AD correctly through
the Likewise Open tool. With further research, I have come to believe
that the issue is related more to the way that the Linux and CUPS
handles the SMB printing.

I have included below an e-mail that I sent to a Linux guru that I
know. It explains what I believe the problem is:

<<< Start E-mail >>>

Hello. I was hoping I could bounce a question off of you, to see if you
could point me in the direction of a hack...
I think I e-mailed you earlier and told you that I got printing working
on that Ubuntu 8.04 box in the lab. I did, but there is another related
problem that has popped up.

/My problem:/

The default printing tool for Ubuntu, and all the other printing tools
I've been able to find, all manage SMB printing the same way. When the
printer is added during the printer set up process, the program writes a
bunch of configuration information to the printers.conf file in the
/etc/cups directory. Whenever a user tries to print a document, the
system accesses this file and pulls the needed information from it.

Included in this file is a line containing the smb user name, password,
and URL information for the printer. Since our printers authenticate
against an AD domain, a valid domain user name and password must be
provided here or the computer can not connect to the printer.

This is where the problem lies. You see, I can easily provide a domain
user name and password (such as my own). But there is no program or
process in the system that automatically updates this information. This
means that, every time that the aforementioned user (me) changes his
password, the computer loses its ability to access that printer!

/What I need:/

I need to figure some way to hack this so that the computer can use the
domain credentials of the user /who is trying to print/. Or at least,
hack Ubuntu so that it will ask for a user name/password from the user
who is trying to print (rather than pulling one from printers.conf).

If I can't figure out such a hack, that means I'll have to ask my
supervisors to create an account solely dedicated to Linux printing,
with a password that never changes. They will doubtlessly frown on this
(for security reasons), and it will not make sense to them (as none of
the Windows or Macs need such an account).

Any ideas?

<<< End E-mail >>>

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf