[aklug] Re: Ubuntu 8.04: printing to Windows network share

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 13:58:21 AKDT

On Saturday 19 July 2008 12:49:17 pm Christopher Howard wrote:

> I was wondering if there might be another tool I could install that
> could do the job. (Maybe even scan AD for printers -- the printer is
> published.)

If you know the IP address of the printer, you can print directly to it. This
is what I usually do instead of using a Windows print queue. It really is a
lot simpler unless the print admin has restricted direct print access.

If you have to use the Windows print queue, the Ubuntu print configuration
tool is probably interacting with CUPS. The full syntax for a CUPS smb print
connecton looks like this:

smb://username:password@workgroup/servername/printersharename

You don't always need every element of the uri. So assuming you've got a good
AD machine account you can start off with:

smb://servername/printersharename

Which is probably what you've tried, since you said you're using the same
config as your Windows boxes. If your test page doesn't work, then keep
adding elements until it does work.

The first things that come to mind is that you accidentally left off
the "smb://" part or that you're using backslashes like Windows. You can
also try

smbclient -L servername

to double-check the name of the print queue from Linux in case there are some
wierd alias things going on.