[aklug] Ubuntu 8.04: printing to Windows network share

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 12:49:17 AKDT

Remember that Ubuntu 8.04 box I joined to Active Directory using the
Likewise program? Now I'm working on getting printing set up so the
Ubuntu box can print to the Windows network printing share.
I tried using the default add printer tool in Ubuntu (the smb section of
it), but it doesn't seem to be able to recognize the share. I use the
same server and share info that works fine on all the Windows and Mac
machines. Ubuntu has the correct drivers for the printer (an HP 4300),
but can't verify the existence of the share or send a print job to it.
(I can ping the print server from command-line).

I was wondering if there might be another tool I could install that
could do the job. (Maybe even scan AD for printers -- the printer is
published.)

I tried posting this in the Ubuntu forums, but their forums are so busy
that it didn't last two hours before being buried by other questions.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf