[aklug] Joined Active Directory!! Yeah!!

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 15:51:29 AKDT

Hey, remember those posts I made about needing help joining AD? I was
able to successfully join an Ubuntu box to my University's AD!
No credit to me, though. After reading numerous cryptic documents about
SAMBA and joining AD, I finally came across a program called Likewise in
Ubuntu's package repository. Likewise presented me with a very simple GUI.

All my super had to do was to type in the domain name, and click join.
It asked for his admin account username and password. (Note: I think he
had to put the username in the format: username@FQDN. FQDN here had to
be the domain where _his_ account resided.)

Two other notes: 1) for users to login, its seems that they have to put
the shortened form of the domain and a backslash before their username
(in this case, "LABS\username"). 2) for some reason, I can't login to
the local accounts at the login screen; I'm guessing that I have to use
some other syntax to indicate it is a local account (probably the local
hostname).

So then, for students to use the computer, all that is left to do is: 1)
figure out the local account issue; 2) set up skeleton Desktop files; 3)
learn how to set up disk quotas, so the students don't fill-up the
measly 40 GB hard drive.

Another note: Someone I talked to the other day suggested that (instead
of setting up more Linux-only computers in the future) we consider
making an image and putting an emulator on all the Windows computers.
Any thoughts on that?

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf