[aklug] Re: Linux Hater's Blog

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 13:11:28 AKDT

--- On Tue, 7/15/08, Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> wrote:
> Don't feed the trolls, dude.

I agree; look back to May, and the very first words the blogger posted: "Linux sucks, Yeah, I said it. Whatcha gonna do about it?" He just wants to start a fight, and he does this by nitpicking about anything he doesn't like or he pretends to not understand. The author never really specifies (a) why he continues to use Linux if he hates it so, nor (b) what exactly he means by "Linux makes your computer unusable." He can get online, he can open applications, what exactly is Linux preventing him from doing?

If Linux users came looking for a debate, they would instead be met with a firestorm of illogical rambling and name-calling, which brings more people in to argue, which drives more traffic to his site. There's no point in arguing with somebody who won't listen, especially if I'm increasing his pageviews* by doing so.

> I like having discussions here because we're
> all generally open to learning new stuff, so fan-boyisms
> are minimal

Indeed. I've posted about my newbish frustrations on other sites, and usually at least one person says that I'm a Msoft employee trying to turn other people off of Linux, or I want to peacefully graze alongside the other Msoft sheep** without having to learn anything, or "Waaah, Googling is too hard!" ("responding" to a ZDnet blog post about how a user-friendly OS shouldn't require constant Googling. Which I think is a valid point, and one I've also encountered when trying to decipher Windows' error messages.) I hardly think that it gives new users the sense of community that Linux fans brag about.

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com