[aklug] Re: Uses for Old Computers?

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 18:00:52 AKDT

Aaron A. wrote:
> --- On Mon, 7/14/08, Piet van Weel <pmvw@...> wrote:
>> a file server for your music files. :)
>
> Just this weekend I was idly wondering, "wouldn't it be neat to have a network drive for music and backups and stuff?" Only after I'd sent this morning's message did I consider that each problem could resolve the other. It's a bad habit of mine; in order to explain a problem to somebody else, I have to sort it out into a meaningful question, and that question gives me the framework I need to figure it out myself.
>
> At least one computer has a DVD drive, so the way I see it, the key steps would be:
> 0) Plan the conversion,
> 1) Wipe the existing hard drive (~40GB), because I don't remember what's on there,
> 2) Install a bigger drive (I already have a 120GB on hand,) either in addition to or instead of the 40GB (instead would be easier)

How about you take both hard drives and make an LVM volume out of them
both? The you would have around 150GB of disk space and you could make a
few different partitions and grow them as needed. You could also take
one of the partitions and make it yoour boot partition so if you want to
upgrade to a newer distro you can re-install on the one partition. That
way you wouldn't have to lose your data when you re-install.

> 3) Upgrade RAM (semi-optional, depends on distro, currently ~256MB)

Most definitely.

> 4) Install distro of choice,
> 5) Learn and implement SAMBA,

An aklug member just went through this and a few of us have done it
before as well, so you have a good base to ask questions.

> 6) Install BOINC client, so the machine has something to do in its spare time (optional, but quick-n-easy),
> 7) Get a switch box so I can pop in and check on the server as needed. (optional, but far more convenient than the alternative)

Really don't need that, you can run it headless and just ssh into it and
check on it.

> That sounds surprisingly doable; the only one that worries me is the SAMBA thing; that's brand-new territory for me. Oh well, gotta learn sometime, right?

Yep. ;)

> So... yeah, that's probably what I'll do with one of them. Still open to suggestions for the other rig, though. I might make that one my test subject for trying other distros or for widespread hardware upgrades (at which I am equally newbish, but it could be fun to learn.)

Better yet, make a xen server and run virtual servers inside of it then
you could have samba and test new distros to your hearts content. ;)

Jon