[aklug] Re: Uses for Old Computers?

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 17:00:38 AKDT

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Piet van Weel <pmvw@...> wrote:
> a file server for your music files. :)

Just this weekend I was idly wondering, "wouldn't it be neat to have a network drive for music and backups and stuff?" Only after I'd sent this morning's message did I consider that each problem could resolve the other. It's a bad habit of mine; in order to explain a problem to somebody else, I have to sort it out into a meaningful question, and that question gives me the framework I need to figure it out myself.

At least one computer has a DVD drive, so the way I see it, the key steps would be:
0) Plan the conversion,
1) Wipe the existing hard drive (~40GB), because I don't remember what's on there,
2) Install a bigger drive (I already have a 120GB on hand,) either in addition to or instead of the 40GB (instead would be easier)
3) Upgrade RAM (semi-optional, depends on distro, currently ~256MB)
4) Install distro of choice,
5) Learn and implement SAMBA,
6) Install BOINC client, so the machine has something to do in its spare time (optional, but quick-n-easy),
7) Get a switch box so I can pop in and check on the server as needed. (optional, but far more convenient than the alternative)

That sounds surprisingly doable; the only one that worries me is the SAMBA thing; that's brand-new territory for me. Oh well, gotta learn sometime, right?

So... yeah, that's probably what I'll do with one of them. Still open to suggestions for the other rig, though. I might make that one my test subject for trying other distros or for widespread hardware upgrades (at which I am equally newbish, but it could be fun to learn.)

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com