[aklug] Re: Linux and dial-up modems

From: Douglas McIntosh <ffdjm@alaska.net>
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 11:50:09 AKDT

I use gentoo linux, US Robotics V.92 faxmodems and wvdial dialup soft-
ware on my two computers. Wvdial is easy to configure and redials after
isp originated disconnects. The mac mini uses a keyspan serial to usb
converter between mac and modem. Wvdial works fine with usb.

Most distros expect something other than dialup so you may want to
disable startup modules that look for something like dhcp. Do not
disable the loopback interface. It's essential for some programs,
firefox for example.

Acsalaska allows more than one telephone line to connect at the same
time. Right now my other computer is using wget -c to download a
long list of podcasts. Whenever acs disconnects wvdial redials and
wget eventually resumes downloading the remainder of the current
file.

Douglas