[aklug] Re: active directory

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 15:45:42 AKDT

Quoting Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>:

> jonr@destar.net wrote:
>> Quoting Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>:
>>
>>> Jon Reynolds wrote:

>>> Welcome to the list Christopher! What is your experience with *nix
>>> systems?Jon--------- To unsubscribe, send email to
>>> switched my home environment entirely to GNU/Linux about eight months
>>> ago. Most of my experience is with Mandriva, which I rely on for my
>>> desktop needs. I also run an older version of Red Hat on one of my
>>> home machines, which I use as a file server and for various testing
>>> purposes. I like to carry a Knoppix disk every where I go, too.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately we do not use Linux much in the department of UAF where
>>> I work, but I was recently able to convince the department to allow me
>>> to setup one Linux box in one of our labs. We are currently in the
>>> process of configuring it, and we will shortly attempt to join it to
>>> the Windows domain.
>>>
>>> I have this philosophy about computers that, if a computer can be
>>> programmed to do it automatically, a human shouldn't have to do it
>>> manually. And so I am hoping to learn as much about shell scripting
>>> as I can.
>>>
>>> -- Christopher Howard
>>
>> I actually just joined a samba server to an AD for the purpose of cups
>> printing. So post to the list if you have any questions and we can all
>> benefit from your pain. ;)
>>
>> Jon
>>

> Jon,
> If you want to help me out, you could start by telling me about the
> experience you just mentioned. How did it go? Run into any unexpected
> problems? Was it an automated process or did you have to mess with
> configuration files?

All by hand while shoving needles through my corneas. The two files to =20
configure on your samba box are the smb.conf and the krb5.conf files. =20
After you have those two configured you can 'kinit' your user and 'net =20
ads' your server to the AD. You will need these daemons: winbindd smbd =20
nmbd running if you want to be a member server in the AD, they need to =20
be started in this order:

nmbd
smbd
winbindd

The only problem I really had was self-inflicted, I read the =20
documentation and a list of "common-mistakes" then made one of those =20
mistakes. :)

Jon