[aklug] Anchorage School District

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 13:01:23 AKDT

I recently had a chance to talk with some of the leadership at ASD. =20
We are working to put flyers into the schools and to possibly allow us =20
to speak at the High Schools about Linux and Open Source.

Because it is so late in the year, This may only have effect next year =20
as school starts.

The seed is planted and we will see if it can grow.

Additionally, I heard that they are looking at the ASUS eepc. I had a =20
chance to play with one of these and suggested that if the ASD needed =20
help with configuring these in a special way, that AKLUG would be =20
willing to see what we could do to help.

I also ran into an Elementary Ed technical person and she had recently =20
been doing research into using some of the educational software =20
packages available for linux.

We also discussed the idea of using LiveCD's so that folks could at =20
least experience Linux without having to worry about destroying data =20
that might be on the machine they are using.

So lots of interesting things happening in the school district, I'm =20
looking forward to what might come out of all this.

Keep your eyes and ears open for a way for us to help.

Mike B.