[aklug] Blackberry has no IMAP support

From: dhull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 16:46:48 AKDT

After doing lots of digging I have come to the conclusion that the Blackberry can't do email. It does get email but not the way you might think. It's not a standard email client.

1. Email is copied from your email server to the Blackberry server (RIM)
2. Once it's on RIM's servers it goes to your phone
3. The only thing that gets checked is your inbox. Other folders are not checked
4. I'm reading a lot about sync issues with IMAP and email on the server and the phone

If you have the BES server you can pick and choose what folders are checked and sent to the phone. It's also instant email. When you get an email it's sent to RIM's servers and to your phone. Only if you have the BES server.

I looked at the other options out there for push email. Not sure if they work the same way. Here's something to think about.

1. The iPhone has a true IMAP client built into the phone.
2. The Palm Treo also does IMAP

I'm going to look into a Treo option.