[aklug] Re: cups and the disappearing printers

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 09:22:50 AKDT

Quoting william bouterse <bill@bouterse.com>:

> An ongoing problem I have recently noticed in a mixed M$,
> PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu network
> Brother 2040 Connected to Ubuntu Hardy via LAN
> Two Dell Inspiron notebooks with PCLinuxOS connected via
> wireless to Netgear router
> All Systems connected via the Gateway Netgear Wireless
> Router
> I won't discuss the M$ machines yet....
>
> I set the Brother connected Ubuntu machine to a static IP
> It prints fine to itself.
>
> The Notebooks initially printed to the Brother then next
> reboot did not.
> This has gone on several times and with several reinstalls
> and all upgrades.
>
> In the past and in other situations once a printer was
> configured I would never have a problem
> Now that I am helping out a small non-profit and preaching
> the consistency and reliability of Linux
> I am having a few basic hiccups.
>
> Of course Human Error is often a factor and I will be the
> first to acknowledge this !!
> I have read TFM and Googled up the yin yang. Several
> attempts have been made but a lasting solution is yet to
> be found.
>
> Occasionally I have found in other cases in past years
> that even a cups configured local printer will disappear
> "overnight"
> Needing to be "reactivated again in the morning but have
> forgotten the etiology.

This is kind of vague...can you pick a specific problem and talk about that?

I mean, I get that the printers seem to be coming and going, but what
are the specific symptoms?

Do you have a mix of Windows and Linux client machines? What versions
of Windows are you running? How is the network configured?

Mike B.