[aklug] cups and the disappearing printers

From: william bouterse <bill@bouterse.com>
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 05:58:21 AKDT

An ongoing problem I have recently noticed in a mixed M$,
PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu network
Brother 2040 Connected to Ubuntu Hardy via LAN
Two Dell Inspiron notebooks with PCLinuxOS connected via
wireless to Netgear router
All Systems connected via the Gateway Netgear Wireless
Router
I won't discuss the M$ machines yet....

I set the Brother connected Ubuntu machine to a static IP
It prints fine to itself.

The Notebooks initially printed to the Brother then next
reboot did not.
This has gone on several times and with several reinstalls
and all upgrades.

In the past and in other situations once a printer was
configured I would never have a problem
Now that I am helping out a small non-profit and preaching
the consistency and reliability of Linux
I am having a few basic hiccups.

Of course Human Error is often a factor and I will be the
first to acknowledge this !!
I have read TFM and Googled up the yin yang. Several
attempts have been made but a lasting solution is yet to
be found.

Occasionally I have found in other cases in past years
that even a cups configured local printer will disappear
"overnight"
Needing to be "reactivated again in the morning but have
forgotten the etiology.

Any help would be appreciated.

WH (Bill) Bouterse