[aklug] Opening an application in "Tool" mode in Gnome

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 21:45:13 AKDT

I normally run KDE, and have a bash script that opens an image using display (imagemagick) in "Tool" mode -- so it opens but does not grab the mouse or keyboard.
The line I use looks like this:
kstart --type Tool display ${newimage}

where ${newimage} is a jpeg photo.

I've got Ubuntu running in a VirtualBox container, and I've been searching for a way to accomplish the same thing in Gnome. The closest I've been able to come is using the --nograbmouse option, but when display comes up I am still forced to click back on my gnome-terminal window to interact with the script.

Does anyone know of a Gnome tool or widget similar to kstart that I can get similar functionality with?

The idea is to be typing in a gnome-terminal, have the photo displayed on the desktop, and still be able to type into the gnome-terminal window without moving my fingers from the home keys. Or rather, I absolutely hate the "type into terminal, take hands off of the keyboard, find mouse, click back on terminal window, find home keys and start typing again" routine. The script might be dealing with several hundred photos during a run and interacting with the mouse just wastes large amounts of time.

Cheers!

James