[aklug] Re: Virtual machine choices.

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 15:03:47 AKST

Quoting John Phelps <akz3r0@gmail.com>:

> I am wanting to build a server that hosts out a few services as virtual
> machines and there are many choices.
> Kernel VM, VMware, Xen, etc. I just want something easy.
> The VM's that I will be running will be CentOS and Ubuntu based.
>
> Here is my list of wanted VM's
>

> - A web/file server VM running apache (Ubuntu)
>

> - CentOS image (see http://www.irlp.net/ )
>

> - ubuntu image running a package called PSKmail (
> http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/ )
>

> - ubuntu image running "Outernet Server" (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outernet_server_%28software%29)
>
> Have a 2.4GHz Celeron with 256MB RAM set aside for this purpose (can be
> upgraded if needed).
>
> So what do I use? What do I need? The machine will be headless with no
> underlying VM having a GUI.
>
> Thanks to all !
> ~John

Hello John,

I haven't tried any of the other vm's out there other than xen. I am =20
hosting 2 windows(XP,2k3) vm's and three linux vm's, all headless and =20
on the one machine. You will definitely want to get some more RAM. I =20
have experience with xen so if you decide to go that route I can help =20
you to get it up and running.

Jon