[aklug] Re: wpa_supplicant

From: Ian Heafer <spaceturnip@studioturnip.net>
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 06:13:03 AKST

> I just started working with wpa supplicant so that I can use the
> features of my new router.
>
> But for some reason I haven't been able to get WPA2 working. Yes, my
> router supports it, but I can't get the two connected.
>
> Anyone that has already gone through this, have some good suggestions
> about troubleshooting these problems?

I remember it taking a while for me to get this working, but in the end it
wasn't so difficult. In most distros I've used /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is
really well documented. It's pretty easy to get lost in all the options
available, but I'm pretty sure you can get away with a really simple
config with just your essid and password and wpa_supplicant can usually
figure out the rest. One tricky thing is if you compile your own kernel
you have to make sure you have all the proper crypto options either
compiled in or available as modules, that was the toughest part when I was
setting it up. What kind of errors are you getting when run
wpa_supplicant?

Ian