[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: Ben Everitt <ben.everitt@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 15:48:02 AKST

I can't run that app at work - I'll have to do it later tonight while
I'm at home, but usually those online checkers offer a quick port scan
report only. They don't check for open UDP ports, nor do they check
whether your firewall does stateful inspection of packets. If you know
that your firewall is stateful, then you're one step further. But if
you're unsure - you need to find out. Some firewalls are not stateful by
default but can be enabled by the owner. But please don't believe that
you are safe because you own a spiffy firewall. Security is multi level:
from the user, OS, application, network, and firewall, you should have
proper guards at all levels. A firewall won't block a user initiated web
app from loading a virus that spreads internally to all the unsecured
machines behind the firewall.

You may have a big dead-bolt on your door, but I have a chainsaw. That's
why you also have a big dog and a shotgun!

-Ben