[aklug] GCI and DNS

From: blair parker <blair@cmjv.com>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 09:54:45 AKST

I'm having a couple of issues w/ GCI and one of my domain names...
Perhaps somebody can help me understand why I am having these issues:

1. I swapped cable modems last week, and GCI had to give me a new
static IP. I then called tech support and had them change their DNS
servers to route traffic for one of my domain names to my new IP addr.
That worked just fine.

Then I realized that I had forgotten to ask GCI to change my 'other'
domain name to point traffic to my same static IP addr. Now, I'm sure
this will happen, in time, but just not yet. They have informed me that
I need to change my Whois record (w/ godaddy) to reflect two different
nameservers. Originally, they were set to ILIAMNA.GCI.NET
(209.165.131.14), and SPURR.GCI.NET (209.165.131.15). I'm supposed to
change them to 209.165.131.12 and 209.165.131.13. Here's where I have
problems.

According to GoDaddy, these two IP's (.12 and .13) are not 'registered'
name servers, so I cannot change my registry. Ok. Now I'm feeling a
little bit like the man-in-the-middle. Time for my second DNS issue...

2. I have a couple of mail servers on different
computers/domain_names. They both use RBL's to help reduce my spam.
Starging on or about 08 February, I have been getting a lot of log
entries on both email servers that look like the following:

101.103.26.189.sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=101.103.26.189.sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org type=A: Host not found, try again

Apparently, I am supposed to set my router (w/ static IP's) up to use
the .12 and .13 name servers. But regardless of what I use, I keep
getting LOTS of the above log entries in my mail servers.

Can anybody explain to me GCI's nameserver 'philosophy' ?..

Why do they have at least two sets of nameservers (.12/.13 and .14/.15),
and at least three sets of domain names pointed at these two sets of
nameservers (iliamna/spurr, vans-1/vans-2, and vcns-1/vcns-2) ?..

And why is one set of these nameservers not properly 'registered' ?..

Just trying to understand...

--
Blair Parker
Crazy Mountains Joint Venture