[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 15:53:53 AKST

Quoting Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>:

> On Feb 13, 2008 8:15 AM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Bob,
>>
>> Did you get very far through the Samba howto? Have you been able to do
>> any troubleshooting?
>>
>> What version of Samba are you using?
>>
>> It might be best just to start with a simple specific problem you are
>> having, then we work to get that resolved.
>>
>> Mike B.
>>

> Progress! Samba is up and working. After trying a few different tutorials,
> swat and gsambad the solution that finally worked for me I found here.
>
> Also connected to the network printer, even though the location will change
> this weekend.
>
> The next step is I want to remotely control the server, and have access to
> execute programs. Will that require SSH?

Glad to hear it!

Most probably ssh will be involved....when you say remote, it has a few
connotations. One is that you are remote to the machine but local on
the lan. The other is remote to the machine and remote to the network
it sits on.

Some might argue with my definitions but in the end, the speed of the
connection to the remote box is what drives how you decide to do things.

Here we use remote X at times and we use command line ssh. We use ssh
in both cases but both have there pluses and minuses.

Tell us how you intend to "remotely administer" your box and we'll try
and steer you in a good direction.

Mike B.