[aklug] Re: Virtualbox vs. VMWare

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 07:46:22 AKST

The presentation went fairly well and we had 10+ people. Although I
know I didn't do a good comparison between all the different
possibilities, we were really just trying to touch on the usefullness
of using a virtual machine.

I have to say, even though I've never used Virtual Box before, I was
surprised at how well the three installs went. Although one of them
didn't really work out, the other two that I saw went reasonably well.

The Linux installer failed to create an entry in the /etc/group file
and failed to start the service, but those thing seemed minor compared
to what could have happened.

When I left, Neil M. was installing Unbuntu in his virtual machine.

I didn't see a windows machine around, so I don't know how well it
might work on Windows as well.

Maybe someone who has used both VirualBox and VMWare will do a
comparison for us.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support for the presentation.

Mike B.

Quoting bryanm@acsalaska.net: