[aklug] My new firewall is fast!

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 18:46:25 AKST

Here's the hardware.

    * Nexcom http://www.nexcom.com
    * The board I have is NSB 1041c
          o I was unable to find it on the website
    * Processor = Mobile Intel Celeron 650MHz

I'm getting ready to host my own web and email. One thing that I wasn't
sure about was bandwidth.

    * What am I getting?
    * Do I have enough?

I did internet speed tests on the old and new firewall.

    * Old firewall is a PIII
    * Used dslreports.com
    * Also used http://speedtest.gci.net/
          o This works!

I found something out I wasn't expecting. The old firewall is slow. I
should have been getting 3 Megabits down.

    * The old firewall got 1 down and about 650 kilobits up
    * The new firewall gets 3 down and about the same up

I had my service changed to 10 Megabit down and 1 megabit up. I want to
make sure I have enough bandwidth before I make the switch. Any way, the
old firewall can't handle the speed. Could be a network card issue. Not
sure at this point.

If you're on an old IPCop box you might want to speed test it just to
make sure you are getting what you paid for. There's nothing worse then
paying for bandwidth you can't use.