[aklug] Re: GCI and two IP Addresses

From: Alan C. <r.andom@noshut.com>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 17:48:01 AKST

Nope, not true. You can have several addresses with a single MAC on
the cable modem network.

I spent a number of years with 4 Static IP Addresses at my house on
the same device/same MAC on a PIX 501 firewall.

About two, maybe three years ago there was a bug where you could not
assign multiple statics to the same MAC address but that was rectified
within a few months of being identified (they had a work-around for
the few people doing it). I just bumped down to one static within the
last month. Now that I relinquished my four addresses I run a single
static and one DHCP address at my house without issue.

DHCP is optional as long as you are willing to hard-code addresses,
there is no magic on the back end forcing you to use DHCP in order to
egress the cable modem network.

Just hard-code your router for the static addresses and the related
information. The DHCP server won't hand out multiple addresses to the
same MAC but by statically assigning them it should work just fine.
The trick is to make sure you use the right default gateway, subnet
mask, etc..

-Alan