[aklug] Re: GCI and two IP Addresses

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 13:15:21 AKST

It's likely that he means that your router won't retrieve two seperate
addresses, because they normally use dhcp to provide you an address.

There are somethings that he may not know...like:

- you have two actuall interfaces in that router
- you are going to alias one of the IP addresses
- you are going to route everything coming into the second router to
the first without firewalling it first.

Of course, it is entirely possible none of those things is true for you
as well, since you really don't give those details.

My personal experience has been that from one cable modem, I can get a
minimum of two addresses (I think 5 is their limit).

So I suppose what he says is true under certain circumstances...you'll
have to provide more detail about what your doing and what you'd like
to do.

Additionally there is the possibility that something else, unknown to
both of us, that is going on.

Hope that helps.

Mike B.