[aklug] Re: AKLUG organization

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 10:42:27 AKST

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, barsalou wrote:

> Quoting Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>:
>
> <snip a bunch of other good stuff>
>
>> One other advantage I am aware of is that a properly constructed legal
>> entity protects the officers and members from personal liability should
>> the group be sued.
>
> This is actually a concern for me personally.

That's not entirely true. In the case of AKLUG no such advantage would
exist since absent of any significant resources to pay a judgment
individuals still need to be liable (typically the officers of the group).
It reduces the level of risk and amount of liability, but it doesn't make
provide complete immunity for everyone.

Also: a properly written release of liability will provide better protection
from legal action, and no legal entity is needed for that. Say, for
instance, we had an installfest and someone managed to toast someone's
personal hardware. If the victim had signed a release stating that he
understood that any services he recieved were done on a volunteer basis and
that any damage done, intentional or otherwise, was the responsibility of
the victim, they would have no legal recourse at all.

With the proper documentation that risk can be managed.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die