[aklug] Re: AKLUG organization

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 08:40:07 AKST

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, barsalou wrote:

> As a way to start to deal with this seemingly devisive issue, I'm going
> to list the current points of view as I see them.
>
> These are a representation of what seems to be at hand and I'm willing
> to re-word them if they don't meet current expectations.
>
> Pro's:
>
> - Having corporate status (without 501c3 status) will help us get
> access to meeting venue's that we couldn't without it.

I'd like to hear a list of this. I'm fairly certain it doesn't hold true
for a booth at the IT Expo, but it's possible if we were trying to get space
at BP like NUGA does. Even then, I think there are other ways to skin that
cat. Not to mention that AKLUG has never (in my memory) used BP for meeting
space.

> - It allows some organizations (anyone have a list?) to give monetary
> and equipment donations. (I'm not sure this holds without 501c3 status,
> though)

It doesn't hold without non-profit status if the donating company wants to
use it as a write-off. Without it anything anyone gives to us is out of
pocket at their expense. Which pretty much removes most of the incentive
any business would have for giving it to us. Of course, if they're trying
to avoid disposal/recycling fees they still might drop equipment on us. But
at that point I still don't think they need a business entity to do the
transfer, they could just transfer it to private ownership (i.e., whoever
actually picks it up on our behalf).

> Con's:
>
> - It costs over $200/year to maintain it
> - We don't have enough committed volunteers to maintain a proper structure.
> - We don't yet have 501c3 status.
>

> Questions I personally have:
>
> - Jim, at this point, are you willing to continue being the only one
> putting your money up to maintain our status? I know others have given
> you money to defray that cost....
>

> Anyone else want to add to the list of Pro's or Con's? Even though we
> have approximately a year to work this out, let's work to resolve this
> discussion as soon as possible.

Thanks for taking the lead on this, Mike.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die