[aklug] Re: AKLUG organization

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 08:36:35 AKST

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:16:05 -0900
barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> As a way to start to deal with this seemingly devisive issue, I'm
> going to list the current points of view as I see them.
>
> These are a representation of what seems to be at hand and I'm willing
>
> to re-word them if they don't meet current expectations.
>
> Pro's:
>
> - Having corporate status (without 501c3 status) will help us get
> access to meeting venue's that we couldn't without it.

Based on my experience I would generalize this to be some type of legal
status as an organization, but not necessarily 501c3.

> - It allows some organizations (anyone have a list?) to give monetary
> and equipment donations. (I'm not sure this holds without 501c3
> status, though)

501c3 is likely necessary here for deduction reasons. However, does the
group have any plans for what to do with donated equipment or funds? I
remember the FTP server discussions and that was only a single chassis.
What would the group do if Big Oil backed up a truck and donated 80 1
GHz PIII machines?

One other advantage I am aware of is that a properly constructed legal
entity protects the officers and members from personal liability should
the group be sued.

> Con's:
>
> - It costs over $200/year to maintain it
> - We don't have enough committed volunteers to maintain a proper
> structure. - We don't yet have 501c3 status.

Thanks for leading Mike :)

Tom