[aklug] Re: GCI DNS servers

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 06:30:04 AKST

Damien Hull wrote, on 1/28/2008 11:45 PM:
> Just put up your own DNS server and call it a day. I'm not a BIND expert
> but I think all you need to do is install it and turn it on. I think
> it's caching DNS by default.

I must respectfully disagree, as I think that I did the last time that
a thread like this went this direction.

The whole point of the design of the DNS infrastructure is to
distribute load. Everyone running their own server doesn't scale.

I encourage anyone with this symptom to document it -- perhaps by
using Nagios or otherwise monitoring your provider's DNS
responsiveness over a period of time -- and reporting it to your
provider, whether it be GCI, ACS, AT&T, Clearwire, AP&T, TelAlaska, or
Joe's ISP and Sandwich Shop. :)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531