[aklug] Re: Compiling a kernel for Ubuntu Dapper

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 16:47:27 AKST

jonr@destar.net wrote:
> Quoting Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:
>

>> These were good instructions. No trouble getting the kernel to compile.
>> It creates a nice deb package that I can take to another Ubuntu box.
>> Problem, it doesn't boot. The kernel can't find /dev/sda1.
>>
>> I have been told there there are all kinds of problems when compiling a
>> new kernel. There was one mention of udev. If you install a new kernel
>> you might need a new udev.
>>
>> All I know is that the new kernel doesn't work. :'(
>>

> Doesn't work on the new box or the old? Do you have scsi/sata drives?
> Did it kernel panic when it tries to boot? Is there an initramfs or
> initrd file that needs to be created for the controller modules?

I'll have to boot the new kernel again and see what it says. I think all
it did was through up a bunch of "can't load something something" and
then it dropped into a shell. A shell that didn't offer much.

The instructions tell you to grab the config file for the running
kernel. I loaded that and did the compile. I figured for a first try I
should go with the default settings.

The trouble I'm having could be an Ubuntu issue. I'm surprised that I'm
the only one having this issue. Or so it seams. I've been searching
Google and haven't found much.