[aklug] Re: Compiling a kernel for Ubuntu Dapper

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 08:39:37 AKST

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Damien Hull wrote:

> I need to compile a new kernel for Dapper. Why? Well, I have software
> that requires Dapper so I can't upgrade to Gutsy etc... The system has
> an Intel Core 2 Duo 6300. The Dapper kernel only sees one core. It
> should show me two cores or two processors.
>
> Before I rush out and download the latest kernel I thought It would be
> best to ask for help.
>
> * How do I compile a kernel the Debian way?
> o never don it the Debian way
> * How do I make sure I get the settings for the current working kernel?
> o Thinking "oldconfig" etc...

"make oldconfig" won't do this for you unless you've already generated a
.config file by doing a "make config" (or "make menuconfig", etc) at some
point in the past. "make oldconfig" merges your previous selections with
the current source tree. I've only used it when applying patches that
updated my tree with new drivers or options.

> * How do I make sure I get all the drivers / modules compiled?
> o My hardware needs to work after the kernel boots

You should just be able to select everything as modules. Prior to doing
this, you might want to look at the kernel boot messages and see what
hardware was detected. Also maybe an "lsmod" and note what modules the
system has loaded.

Mike