[aklug] Re: Third world projects

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 13 2008 - 20:24:23 AKST

I think the stuff you're talking about has been discussed before, it's
just been a couple of years.

LinuxUser&Developer tends to run somewhat behind. They're announcing on
their "News" page the release of Fedora Core 6. It's only the 4th
article down. Stand by for their announcements of Fedoras 7 & 8.

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=18&Itemid=59

It's been my experience the last 2 yrs that you can't give away a CRT.
I'm under the impression even the Salvation Army doesn't want them
anymore. I don't think it would make any sort of economic sense to ship
them across the state, let alone another country. It would probably cost
over $100/per to get your CRTs to the Mexican border from Alaska.

Your t20 laptop or other PIII laptop would probably be at the bottom
end of what might make sense. Between current shipping costs and the
price point on things like the OLPC, the EeePC, and the Everex Cloudbook
that is just being released, I don't see the economic sense in
attempting to do much more with the hardware you're talking about
further than across town. You could probably fund an OLPC for some kid
in South America for less than the shipping cost of a CRT.

Nice idea anyway, just a couple of years late. Sorry about bursting any
bubbles.

Jim G