[aklug] Third world projects

From: Nathan Templeton <pb280c@gci.net>
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 22:36:44 AKST

    Evening Gentlemen,

       Truly sorry I missed the meeting tonight. I was looking forward
to the presentation. However had to help the wife get ready for
deployment. Oh the fun of life right?

       At any rate I was reading through the new LinuxUser&Developer and
say an article about a project to bring older hardware to Africa. That
got me thinking.. Has something like that ever been talked about with
the lug here? Maybe a bit closer to home? Say Mexico or South America?

       I have to say I don't know a lot about non-profit and
foundations, but I'm learning now. I just see all these CRT's that are
perfectly good, but no longer the tech "want" of the average American
user. PIII machines that would be wonders in the hands of kids that have
never seen a computer. Hell, I'm typing this on a think pad T20 (PIII 800).

       So if this has been addressed before, and I have yet to see it in
the archive, I apologize, but I see this as something that if there is
enough passion, drive and people behind it could be a hell of a thing to
be a part of. But then again, that might just be me.

       All thoughts, ideas, constructive or against are welcome. I'm all
for open discussion of ideas. Let me know what you think..

Thanks,

Nathan