[aklug] Re: Remote access to data

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Thu Dec 06 2007 - 13:53:14 AKST

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:33:24 -0900
Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:

> The only down side to this configuration is that downloading data
> becomes difficult. How do I grab data with sftp?

Read up on ssh tunneling, it's VERY powerful. As an aside, when I'm on
foreign networks I pin up an SSH tunnel to a trusted host and pass
everything I can through it - IMAP, SMTP, DNS, web traffic (via squid).
Not only does it avoid exposing data (think of all those plain text
services like FTP, POP, telnet....) it also solves the SMTP relay issue.

Tom