[aklug] Re: Remote access to data

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Dec 06 2007 - 13:33:24 AKST

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Damien Hull wrote:
>

>> I'm at the coffee shop trying to access my data back at the home office.
>> I have access to my DMZ. Most of the time that's all I need access to.
>> Today is a little different. I'm missing a few files on my test server.
>> I need to access my data storage server in the internal network.
>>
>> I could do one of the following.
>>
>> * Allow ssh into the privet network
>> o green interface on IPCop
>> * Setup a VPN
>> o Doesn't give me ssh access
>> o I would only be able to grab data on the shared directory
>>
>> I'm sure there are other options. I'm looking for suggestions. Any ideas?
>>
>> Oh, I'll be leaving town next week. I would like to have something
>> configured before then. I will need access while I'm away.
>>

> Allow ssh into the DMZ to a bastion host, then allow ssh from only that
> bastion host from the DMZ into your private network. The VPN idea isn't bad
> as well, depending on how you implement it, but ssh'ing reduces the size of
> the aperture into the network. If you're running your own CA with client
> authentication via certs that might not be that big a deal, though.
>
> In general, you should never let any given connection traverse multiple
> security zones in one fell swoop.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

I think I'll go with the ssh option for now. It's easy to configure and
allows command line access to hosts on the internal network. I guess I
could add another bastion host. One inside the privet network.

The hacker would have to log into 3 systems. The bastion host on the
DMZ. The bastion host on the Privet network. Then the host they want to
hack into. Unless they are trying to hack something on the DMZ.

The only down side to this configuration is that downloading data
becomes difficult. How do I grab data with sftp?

    * ssh into the first bastion
    * ssh into the second bastion on the privet network
    * sftp to the data storage server
          o running Ubuntu Dapper
    * grab the data
    * Work my way back to the first bastion host

It's a lot of little steps. If I remember correctly there is a file
system ssh thing. I used it once. Maybe there's a way to deploy that. I
think it was called opensshfs or something like that.

Any suggestions?

NOTE:
I only have access to my DMZ for safety. Anything I deploy for internal
network access needs to secure and stable. The rest is extra at this point.