Friday night, last week

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 21:22:25 AKST

I was hoping someone else was going to post something about the meeting
from two weeks ago, but here is my take on it:

Art did a great job of explaining a lot of the different issues that
arise when building a kernel and had a fairly nice (although
unfinished) pdf that walked through all the things he was talking about.

I learned some interesting facts about initrd and initramfs and other
"secrets" that are helpful to know if you've never built your own
kernel. And for those of us who have built a kernel before, there was
still plenty of meat.

I think his original intention was to do a short presentation, but
because folks seemed interested, it went a lot longer. I'm glad of
that.

We learned that we really do need the classroom, so I'll work harder at
securing that next time around.

I hope Art considers doing that same demonstration again, because he
had a lot to offer and has a good teaching style.

I'd like to encourage others to post their thoughts as well and maybe
say what they got from the talk.

For myself, I just finished recompiling 2.6.23 and partly because of
the class, realized that I had to go back through menuconfig and turn
some stuff on that wasn't in the same spot with the older 2.6.17 kernel.

Learning new stuff is what brings me to Linux and makes me want to do more.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Mike B.