Re: CentOS5 and XFS

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 08:23:02 AKST

Quoting Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>:

<snip my old stuff

> Mike,
>
> Could you have compiled the xfs fs statically into the kernel and not
> used the initrd?

Sure. but the issue was I needed access to it during the install. So
that would have meant that I needed to rebuild the entire install disk,
which is possible.

However, it is fairly painful and I don't like that so much.

So I instead choose to do a temporary install on a smallish (2G)
partition, then just move everything to the newly created XFS
partitions.

If I was thinking about it, and I could have probably put the root
partition on my LV. But I'm done spending time on that part of the
install. Time to move on!

Once all is running smoothly, I'll probably make the initial partition
swap or maybe even split it and add the other gig to my LV.

If I was thinking ahead, I could have leveraged that into a backup boot
partition if I wanted.

:)

Mike B.