Re: Peices n parts questions

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 17:42:47 AKST

1, me.

What it is, is that I have a few very low end systems
that have small hard drives in, but loads of files. I
need more storage space, and though that I would buy
one hard drive and stick it on the network here so
that I can access all the files from any system in the
apartment. A lot cheaper than buying multiple, and
smaller, hard drives.

It would be nice to be able to use it as an FTP server
for use with the occasional Macintosh I work on that
is OS 9 or before. It would also be nice to be able to
use it as a testbed for PHP scripts that I've been
working on. But those are not essential. I do need it
to work with Samba and a GUI, if none of the rest of
it. But I also know that a lot of the newer firewire
cards, and gigabit ethernet adapters, require faster
CPUs, or won't work with Linux, or or or..... I
thought maybe somebody who had done this before knew
of some that would, or that I should avoid. If I was
rich it wouldn't be a problem. I'd just go to the
store and look for the ones I knew would work with
Linux, and have enough computer power to make it work
lol.

Thanks.