Re: What your CIO is reading ....

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 06:53:52 AKDT

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Kurt Mathews wrote:

> Wow - that's disgusting.

Yes and no. Microsoft does accurately quote some very damaging tidbits
which came from our camp. While I don't buy any supposed advantage that
Microsoft claims to have, there is a serious and growing problem within
Linux.

I've said for years now that I think the 2.6.x method of kernel development
sucks, and it's progressively gotten worse. I'd still be on 2.4 if it
wasn't for the fact that I have to have some 2.6 features in order to run
Linux on IBM hardware (pSeries). I don't like it, but I do it.

For the record, I believe Andrew Morton was spot on: the kernel *is*
getting buggier from rev to rev, it's not getting better. We're lucky that
it's just not buggy enough to make us run to Microsoft. I also fully expect
the kernel development model to change in the next years. In this case,
Linus is just plain daft, and the current model sucks dead bunnies through a
straw.

As an informal poll, what's the general experience in AKLUG? For those of
you who've run Linux from the 2.4 days (or before), have you experienced
more or less kernel-related problems since moving into the 2.6 series?

Personally, I've had more problems, and am finding out that I have to
upgrade *much* more aggressively under 2.6 than I ever did with the earlier
series. And I won't go into the problems they've caused me as a maintainer
of my own packages for Nevaeh Linux...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die