Re: A New Focus for AKLUG

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 23:30:09 AKDT

On Thursday 27 September 2007, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > One of the areas that my education is lacking and AKLUG has not been
> > helpful, is in the area of software development. I have made a couple
> > of abortive attempts to participate in the development or maintenance
> > of Debian packages, and I started a project on sourceforge which
> > quickly bogged down as my day to day focus was forced to concentrate
> > on draining the swamp despite the presence of alligators, water
> > moccasins, and other entangling flora and fauna.
> >
> > So, I would like to know what projects others may be supporting and
> > at what level. Is there anyone else out there who has a software
> > project that is stillborn? I remember the young fellow developing
> > software for Amateur Radio use of WiFi hardware. I remember trying to
> > download something, but then the alligators took my attention. Can we
> > consider this sort of effort one of the activities supported by
> > AKLUG?
> >
> > This inquiring mind wants to know. =:)}}}
>
> I have to point out that there's several of us who specifically talked
> about AKLUG providing a track for exactly this, turning those members
> who are willing into hackers. The gist of what I got out of that whole
> flamefest is that "AKLUG is primarily a group of users who just want to
> run applications, so you hacker types should go away". <pop!> I think
> a fuse just blew.

I can only speak for myself but I am unaware of any divisions in Aklug
along the lines you describe. There are people with different interests
but afaik no one diss's any particular group quite like you seem to
believe. Your say so does not make it so !

> George: there's many of us whole sling code on a daily basis. Many of
> our projects will be of no interest to you, and that's after you've
> narrowed down the choices to languages you're willing to learn, but I
> can't think of any of us who wouldn't welcome some participation.
>
> If AKLUG in general has any interest in becoming less hostile to the
> hacking element I'd be happy to share what little I know.

WTF over ! Just who , in general, has this ominous atitude.

> Even the
> small things have a lot of value outside of programming, like gnu make.
> I use that not only for my projects (my entire distribution can be
> built from scratch from a handful of make commands) but for other
> things like generating PDFs from tetex files, etc.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Greg Madden