Re: Tonight's meeting and connectivity

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.org>
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 11:16:53 AKDT

barsalou wrote:
> I'm looking forward to Mike Baker's demonstration tonight. I hope
> those that don't normally go to the AKLUG meetings make a special
> effort to go see what Mike has to share.
>
> After reading Fielder's endorsement, it should be good.
>
> Also, I asked privately about the possibility of the group as a whole
> having our own clearwire or other mobil internet connection. From the
> reponses I got, it seemed right to bring it forward to the entire group.
>
> This wouldn't work unless at a minimum 20 of us wanted to do it. For
> the least expensive service of ClearWire, it would be 24/yr for each
> person wanting to do this. I didn't look at any of the other services.
>
> I realize that Jim,Doug and others have been bringing their
> connections, but I didn't think it appropriate that they might end up
> feeling guilty about not bringing it some Friday.
>
> This is just an idea.
>
> Anyone have opinions about this?
>
> Mike B.

Let me summarize my understanding of the situation and the possible
solutions there to:

1. For reasons unknown (by me) the Anchorage School District (ASD)
Information Technology Department (ADS-ITD) or the Highland Technical
High School (HTH) Technical Support incumbent does not want AKLUG
meetings at HTH to use the installed and obviously available Local Area
Network which connects to the Internet through a nice big pipe.

2. There is a Clearwire modem some place in HTH which may (or may not be
used) by AKLUG meetings. The details of the location and usage
parameters have not been published to my knowledge.

3. At least three of us (Jim Gribbin, Doug MacLean, and me) have brought
in our Clearwire modem at one time or other with success. A long
Ethernet cable is needed to connect the modem to the switch (that
someone brings) because the modem must be out doors to connect.

4. A traditional criterion for selecting a meeting location for AKLUG
Laboratory Sessions is Internet connectivity. We seem to be agreed that
the bigger the pipe the better.

5. My thought is to pursue the easiest course first, namely, the
Clearwire modem already in place at HTH. We already use a long Ethernet
cable. Is a longer one needed? Is a key to a classroom or other locked
space needed? Are there other solvable problems to overcome?

6. Should the easiest course not be a viable solution, then let us ask
Clearwire if they would like to support us. Support could take the form
of full or partial discount. If partial discount, we would have to ask
other firms to help.

7. Should Clearwire not be interested in making a contribution to AKLUG,
then let us ask for support from the various communications businesses
here in Anchorage. We would want something portable so we could take it
with us should we have to move. I don't know all the available options
that the several communications businesses offer. In any case, it would
be well to come up with a comprehensive list so we can help the newcomer
to decide on an Internet connection.

8. Finally, ask for donations from the AKLUG members. My connection with
Clearwire runs a few cents under $55.00 per month. I took a two year
contract so there was no setup charge. There may be other options
available, and Clearwire may charge more for an organization like AKLUG.

Well, there is my dollar's worth (8 bits = 1 dollar).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing