Thoughts on the Monthly Presentation: Mike Baker and the VA Software

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.org>
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 11:54:03 AKDT

Yesterday Stanly Long arranged a meeting with Mike Baker of the VA
Clinic here in Anchorage to discuss his presentation of the Veterans
Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VISTA). Stanly
invited Doug MacLean and me along, and we all got together in Mike's
office about 1230. We spent about an hour listening and asking questions
 along with a demonstration of the Windows interface to the system by
Rich Moran (not sure of the last name).

The VA-VistA (to distinguish it from the Johnny-come-lately's use of the
name) is a very large body of free (as in freedom) software that has
been under development for well over 20 years. Thus, a single Friday
night presentation can hardly cover this important and timely move by
the VA to make VistA freely available as free software to the world
(Mike specifically mentioned Mexico as one of the adopters).

Thus, I suggest Mike be asked to make his presentation a very brief over
view covering the history, platforms, availability, and perhaps a
demonstration of the live CD. The demonstration of the Windows interface
was interesting, but I would rather keep focus on the free software for
the initial presentation.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing