Flaky bus, enclosure, or drive?

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 18:03:36 AKDT

I have a USB enclosure and drive on which I'm getting occasional data errors.
I let badblocks (write test) run on it for a few days, and logged the output.
After a dozen or so passes, I have a file full of block numbers, but there
are no two the same.

This is kernel 2.6.15, so I *think* the usb drivers are stabilized by now.
Should I be looking at the enclosure, the motherboard, or the drive for the
flakiness? I see "reset" messages every now and then while badblocks is
running. Is this a hardware (where?) or software issue?

(No, I haven't thrown the drive itself inside an actual computer case yet.)

Thanks!

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111